Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
Book Discussion Guide
Snack idea: Oatmeal cookies, Corn nuts.
Questions adapted from Mrs. Sunda’s Gifted Resource Class
- General likes and dislike of book
- Favorite part of the book.
- How would the book be different if Mrs. Frisby hadn’t helped Jeremy?
- Would you have visited the owl’s tree? Why/why not.
- Why do you think the owl admired Jonathan Frisby?
- Describe the Fitzgibbons and Dragon. Do you think they are mean? Why/why not?
- How did the discovery of the Toy Tinker effect the story?
- If the situation were reversed and you were reading rat books that called humans greedy, selfish animals that took all the land and food for themselves, would you try to prove them wrong like Nicodemus or would you be like Jenner and consider your actions a fact of life/survival? (What if you had to stop using electricity or driving a car?)
- How might the story have changed if Mrs. Frisby had known about her husband’s association with the rats? (would she have gone directly for help? Would she have let her husband drug dragon? Etc)
- Do you think Mrs Frisby and her children will visit
? Thorn Valley