Sunday, November 16, 2008
Clementine by Sara Pennypacker
Clementine by Sarah Pennypacker
Parent Child Book Discussion
Discussion Questions Created by Julie Moran
Snack ideas: clementines, kettle corn
1. Thumbs up/down and general thoughts about the book.
2. Which character did you like the most/least and why?
3. What scene was your favorite?
4. If you wrote the author, what would you say?
5. What names does Clementine call her brother? Why? Can you think of some names for him?
(she calls her brother vegetable names because she resents being named after a fruit)
(Clementine uses: spinach, radish, rutabaga, turnip, zucchini, lima bean, pea pod and celery)
6. Clementine loves to name things-- what does she name the kittens after and why?
She names them after things in the bathroom because they have the most exquisite names: laxative, fluoride, moisturizer and mascara-- do you know what these things are? What other items around the house might she choose to name the kittens?
7. When Clementine is upset, what does her father allow her to do to calm down (ride the service elevator)? What do you do when you need to calm down?
8. On page 93 Clementine says, "Sometimes I like journal writing at school because I can remind myself of things I might forget when I'm grown up." What are some of the things she wants to remind herself to do? (smoke cigars, to NOT get married, having only ONE kid, get a tattoo, grow a beard like the bearded lady).
***Have children write down one thing they don't want to forget to do when they get older on a slip of paper. Read them aloud later.
9. What are Clementine and her brother allergic to? Do you have any allergies?
10. Tell us about the Great Pigeon War. What are some of the ideas Clementine and her father come up with? (scare birds with a hose, putting diapers on the pigeons, setting out a fake owl, putting a picture of a kitten in the window). What other creative ideas might you have suggested? What ends up solving the problem?
11. Margaret and Clementine are best friends, but they are very different characters. How are they alike/different? Why do you think their friendship works?
12. Clementine has some interesting taste in foods. She likes jelly in her milk and making bologna glasses. What kinds of unique foods/combinations do you enjoy?
13. Last year a writer came to Clementine's school and tells the class to PAY ATTENTION-- but she doesn't mean pay attention to the teacher, she means pay attention to what is going on around you and write about it so you don't forget. What does Clementine notice? (a woman in the park eating lentils with her toothbrush).
*** have the kids take a walk around the library with their parent and take some notes/draw a picture about some interesting things they notice.