Girl with 500 Middle Names by Margaret Peterson Haddix
PARENT-CHILD BOOK DISCUSSION
Snack idea: apples, cookies with different names on them
1. How does your school compare to the two grade schools Janie goes to?
2. Have you ever moved to a new school? How did you make new friends?
3. Why doesn't Janie want to be friends with Kimberly?
4. Do clothes/houses/money tell what a person is like? If so, what? If not, why not?
5. Would you be willing to offer a coat to someone who obviously needs one? How would you go about doing it?
6. Why did the specialty shop owner give Janie's mother back the sweaters? Is it fair to do business in this way?
7. How are the classmates in the two schools portrayed?
Why do you think Cross-eyed Krissy was mean?
Why do you think Josh was mean?
Who do you think is worse, Josh or Krissy? Why?
8. What is your favorite store? How much would a sweater cost there? How much would a game cost there? If you made minimum wage-- $6.55 and hour, how many hours would you have to work to buy that item?
Example: Wii costs $250 at Best Buy, Girl's sweater at Gap Kids costs $25, Boys' Coat at Old Navy is $40, Croc's brand shoe $35. Webkinz cost $10.
* Some questions and ideas borrowed from Simon & Schuster reading guide.