Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Shredderman: Secret Identity by Wendelin Van Draanen
Shredderman: Secret Identity by Wendelin Van Draanen Parent-Child Book Discussion Grades 2-3 January, 2009
snack: apples and shredded cheese? punch?
1. Nolan's mom thinks some people are born mean. His dad thinks people grow into being mean. What do you think?
2. Does your school have bullies? What do they do, and do they usually get caught?
3. Nolan has to interview someone in the community for his project. Who would you choose in our community, and what would you want to know?
4. Nolan hides his math grades from his friends. Do you think it is better to keep your grades private or to share them? Why?
5. Where does Nolan get his idea for Shredderman? What have television or movie characters inspired you to do?
6. Should children be allowed to have their own websites? Under what conditions. How are Nolan's parents similar/different from yours? (page 50-- mother doesn't trust Nolan to stay home alone while she goes to the grocery, but does trust him with the computer...)
7. How does Nolan let kids know about his website? Would you have done it differently? If so, how?
8. After he launches his website, Nolan gets braver and starts standing up for himself? Why do you think he changed?
9. Who do the kids and principal think Shredderman is? Why?
10. Mr Green says you can tell what kind of person someone is by what they do when others aren't looking. What kind of kid is Nolan? What kind of kid are you?
11. What does Nolan's class learn from Shredderman? What do you think would cause Mr. Green to reveal his secret?
12. What would have happened if Nolan had been caught and revealed as Shredderman? Why do you think the principals and teachers want to stop Shredderman? What do you think Nolan's parents would do if they knew?
Shredderman site with word jumbles and math problems: http://www.randomhouse.com/kids/vandraanen/shredderman/